Thursday, September 3, 2020

Blog #1 My News Sources

In a world encompassed by mass media, critically examining how we consume media is essential to avoiding false perceptions of our world and reality. In order to do this, we must identify where we receive our information and differentiate whether that source is reliable.


When looking at my own sources of information, I have 5 main outlets that I often consume.

1. The Skimm



The Skimm is a morning newsletter that is sent to my email every day. I love it because every morning I can learn about the most recent news in a concise way. This provides me a quick look at what is going on so that I can utilize other news sources to dive deeper into the material The Skimm discusses. This company was created by two former news producers who wanted to reach a millennial age group so that younger people could be more involved in politics. I love recommending this resource to my friends to help them get more connected to the news.


2. Vice



Vice News is a news source that often utilizes digital media to convey their messages. I love watching their videos and documentaries that they produce because they are very well done. As I love documentaries, I appreciate Vice using videos as a form of news production. I also really like the syntax and language Vice uses because it helps me understand and relate better to the material.

3. CNN



CNN is another news source I often look to for more mainstream news updates. For example, when I get notifications on my phone from the news app, it is often from CNN. Over the years I have found CNN to be very direct in the articles. I think they provide a pretty unbiased interpretation of the news compared to other outlets such as Fox and MSNBC.

4. Buzzfeed



Buzzfeed is probably one of my most favorite places to receive popular culture news and updates. Not only does BuzzFeed have super fun quizzes to take, but they also present interesting information on celebrities and cultural fads. I will say I would not trust BuzzFeed as a reliable source for more serious topics, but if you want to learn about the funniest TikTok's circling right now, BuzzFeed's got you covered.

5. Social Media



The last form of media that I use to learn about current events and topics is through social media. Although social media is definitely not a super reliable source, I often learn about new issues through these types of mediums. For example, when different topics are trending on Instagram, I usually go to CNN or VICE to research more about these topics. Social media is normally more of a tool for me to learn more about a concept or issue rather than facts and detailed information. I think social media can be a great tool to gain insight on a topic through various perspectives while also bringing awareness about topics that may not get world news coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment